Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Dream Gum

My dreams, as many of you know, are insatiably visceral. A recurrent character of late has been chewing gum. I don't often chew gum, so dreaming consistently about it is curious as it is. But, this seemingly harmless gum overtakes my mouth the moment the dream reaches its climax (think literary).

I struggle to pry it from my teeth and gums as it is lodged on the roof of my mouth and down my throat, gagging me. I then have to pull it from my throat without it breaking off, which it always does. I am forced to swallow the large lump of gum. Finding some relief at having come through this ordeal, I return to face my dream, only...

... I wake up.

Here is what dreammoods.com has to say:
To dream that you are unable to get rid of your gum, suggests that you are experiencing some indecision, powerlessness or frustration. You may lack understanding in a situation or find that a current problem is overwhelming.

Hail Joseph! This is precisely my perplexing condition. The word of my undoing - overwhelming.

3 comments:

candacemorris said...

did you enter "gum" as the search?

fascinating.

Unknown said...

yep, just entered gum. I also saw my reflection in a mirror in the same dream.

this is what they have to say about mirrors:

To see your own reflection in the mirror, suggests that you are pondering thoughts about your inner self. The reflection in the mirror is how you perceive yourself or how you want others to see you. You may be contemplating on strengthening and changing aspects of your character.

Kooy To The World said...

When first I read the title of your blog I was assaulted with numerous visions of children refusing to spit out this delicacy, of waking to find that the gum has escaped in your sleep, of eventual discoveries that your evening treasure has become a morning despot of folicular tyranny, of the resulting bald spots and bad haircuts to hide the evidence.

The only time I fell asleep with gum in my mouth was when I managed the herculean feat of chewing an entire Bubble Tape at one time. Refusing to negate my efforts I feel asleep with the savory mass only to wake with the knowledge that saliva can break down cheap gum to the point of liquification. Aside from gooey residue in my left cheek, I had imbibed the gummy chaw in my sleep.

I am also reminded of the time at Multnomah when my RD was forced to have his roomate help him shave his buttcrack after discovering that somebody had spit their gum out in his bathtub.

None of this has had anything to do with your dream gum, but keep chewing on it, mastication of the inner psyche has to produce something doesn't it? Also, I got your message, I will try to contact you this weekend